Spiced Roast Pears with Vanilla Ice Cream
Christmas is well and truly on its way and, in the spirit of the season, our award-winning Head Chef, Simon Addison has decided to share a delicious festive recipe with you all from our restaurant in Bath. Impress your guests this festive season with Simon’s recipe for these delicious roasted pears. Poached first in a spiced liquor for a scrumptious festive flavour, these pears will be the jewel in your culinary crown this Christmas…
For the Poaching Liquor
2 litres water
3 lemons (zest and juice)
1 cinnamon stick
3 star anise
10 pepper corns
1 vanilla pod
5 black pepper corns
- Bring all ingredients to the boil remove from the heat and chill.
For the Pears
1 vanilla pod
4 star anise
4 cardamom pods
- Peel the pears and vacuum pack in 2s with the poaching liquor divided equally between the bags
- Seal the bags
- Place in a steamer and cook at 90°c for 30 minutes once cooked chill in iced water
- Once chilled, cut the pears in half and remove the seeds
- Make a caramel in the bottom of a deep sided pan add the pears cut side down and allow to caramelise
- Add 1 split vanilla pod, 4 star anise and 4 cardamom pods
- Add 500ml of the poaching liquor and place in a preheated oven set at 180°c for 6-7 minutes, remove from the oven and cool slightly
- Serve with the vanilla ice cream and some of the cooking juices from the pan.
For the Vanilla Ice Cream
12 egg yolks
300ml double cream
4 vanilla pods split and seeds scraped
- While the pears are chilling, warm the milk, cream and vanilla pods
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy
- Pour the liquids onto the egg mix
- Return to the pan and cook out until the mix coats the back of a spoon
- Chill, and churn in an ice cream machine.
So, that’s what we’ll be enjoying this Christmas in Bath! If you love the sound of this and would like to sample some more of Simon’s delicious recipes, or if you would just rather leave it to the professionals, why not pay our Two Rosette restaurant in Bath a visit? Book here or give us a call on 01225 723 731 for more information.